A 12-year-old Yemeni girl, who was forced into marriage with a 24-year-old man, died during a painful childbirth that also killed her baby, a children’s rights group said Monday: “Although the cause of her death was lack of medical care, the real case was the lack of education in Yemen and the fact that child marriages keep happening,” said Seyaj President Ahmed al-Qureshi.
The AHA Foundation > Yemeni girl, 12, dies in painful childbirth
- In the Wall Street Journal, founder of the AHA Foundation Ayaan Hirsi Ali calls on universities to break with orthodoxy and embrace critical thinking to improve the state of women's rights.
- In her own words, Ayaan Hirsi Ali responds to the public statement of Brandeis University.
- The Washington Post reports on British lawmakers' efforts to combat female genital mutilation (FGM).
- An extensive awareness campaign on female genital mutilation (FGM) and violence against women will be rolled out in the borough of Brent (UK), the result of a landmark report looking into the issues which was spearheaded by Councillor Ann John.
- The city council of Slough (UK) has vowed to combat female genital mutilation after the town was named as one of four areas by the NHS as 'high-risk’ for the illegal practice.