Sharia councils in the UK will frequently ask people to sign an agreement to abide by their decisions: councils call themselves courts and the presiding imams are judges, there is neither control over the appointment of these judges nor an independent monitoring mechanism, people often do not have access to legal advice and representation, proceedings are not recorded, nor are there any searchable legal judgments, nor is there any real right to appeal.
The AHA Foundation > What isn’t wrong with Sharia law?
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali Discusses the Need for Western Feminists to Tackle Harmful Traditional Practices
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali: Time for Thanks
- The US Department of Health and Human Services will undertake a major study on female genital mutilation (FGM), confirmed Cathy Russell, the US ambassador for global women's issues. This was the result of an effort spearheaded by FGM activist Jaha Dukureh.
- "American Muslims from across the country share their stories of love and marriage as a matter of choice -- as it should be."
- Summertime in the US means "vacation cutting" season is upon us. Immigrants who come to the US from countries that practice female genital mutilation (FGM) sometimes send their daughters back to their countries of origin to have them undergo the procedure.