In an extensive interview, Princeton historian Bernard Lewis comments on the political changes taking place in the Middle East and says “My own feeling is that the greatest defect of Islam and the main reason they fell behind the West is the treatment of women”.
The AHA Foundation > ‘The Tyrannies Are Doomed’
- Human rights workers are campaigning in Somaliland to end female genital mutilation (FGM), but the custom is proving difficult to eliminate.
- Gaza police have arrested family members over the deaths of two Palestinian teenage girls, one of them the victim of a suspected "honor" killing, an official said Monday.
- In meeting with British Education Secretary Michael Gove, human rights activist Fahma Mohamed expresses her hope that British schools will do more to combat female genital mutilation (FGM).
- The Police Commissioner of Bolton (UK) is backing a campaign to teach children in schools about the risks of female genital mutilation.
- Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl who has spearheaded the campaign for universal education for children, has backed a campaign led by the 17-year-old British student Fahma Mohamed to get education about female genital mutilation into all schools in the UK.