Several areas in Egypt are currently witnessing a rise in the phenomenon some are calling “Sharia harassment.” Veiled women, and often men as well, intimidate unveiled women and girls for not wearing clothing in line with the rules of Sharia law.
The AHA Foundation > ‘Sharia Harassment’ plagues Egyptian women
- Human rights workers are campaigning in Somaliland to end female genital mutilation (FGM), but the custom is proving difficult to eliminate.
- Gaza police have arrested family members over the deaths of two Palestinian teenage girls, one of them the victim of a suspected "honor" killing, an official said Monday.
- In meeting with British Education Secretary Michael Gove, human rights activist Fahma Mohamed expresses her hope that British schools will do more to combat female genital mutilation (FGM).
- The Police Commissioner of Bolton (UK) is backing a campaign to teach children in schools about the risks of female genital mutilation.
- Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl who has spearheaded the campaign for universal education for children, has backed a campaign led by the 17-year-old British student Fahma Mohamed to get education about female genital mutilation into all schools in the UK.