A leading Saudi Arabian journalist has resigned from his post as editor-in-chief of one of the country’s more progressive newspapers: Jamal Khashoggi was editor of al-Watan which published an opinion piece questioning Salafism, a form of Islam at the heart of the Saudi state.
The AHA Foundation > Saudi editor Jamal Khashoggi resigns from of al-Watan
- More than a decade after the removal of Afghanistan's Taliban regime from power, basic women's rights in the country remain extremely precarious.
- The EU Ambassador to Afghanistan, Franz-Michael Mellbin, has criticized the prosecution of "moral crimes" as "disgraceful" and says Hamid Karzai's government has failed Afghan women.
- Inside Israel’s Bedouin communities, the practice of killing women who stain the family’s “honor” is experiencing a dark revival.
- A sharp rise in "honor killings" in Palestinian territories has created a backash.
- Katharine Whitehorn analyzes what men can do to stop Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).