A leading Saudi Arabian journalist has resigned from his post as editor-in-chief of one of the country’s more progressive newspapers: Jamal Khashoggi was editor of al-Watan which published an opinion piece questioning Salafism, a form of Islam at the heart of the Saudi state.
The AHA Foundation > Saudi editor Jamal Khashoggi resigns from of al-Watan
- In the Wall Street Journal, founder of the AHA Foundation Ayaan Hirsi Ali calls on universities to break with orthodoxy and embrace critical thinking to improve the state of women's rights.
- In her own words, Ayaan Hirsi Ali responds to the public statement of Brandeis University.
- The Washington Post reports on British lawmakers' efforts to combat female genital mutilation (FGM).
- An extensive awareness campaign on female genital mutilation (FGM) and violence against women will be rolled out in the borough of Brent (UK), the result of a landmark report looking into the issues which was spearheaded by Councillor Ann John.
- The city council of Slough (UK) has vowed to combat female genital mutilation after the town was named as one of four areas by the NHS as 'high-risk’ for the illegal practice.