The Muslim shadow judges are mainly protecting the patriarchal structures of a culture whose proponents are not truly interested in becoming integrated in Germany. Most arbitrators tolerate restrictions of the basic rights of women, and they urge women to accept these constraints.
The AHA Foundation > In Germany, a parallel Islamic court system on the basis of Sharia law has arisen in which women enjoy fewer rights in matters of child custody, marital arbitration and protection from violence.
- Human rights workers are campaigning in Somaliland to end female genital mutilation (FGM), but the custom is proving difficult to eliminate.
- Gaza police have arrested family members over the deaths of two Palestinian teenage girls, one of them the victim of a suspected "honor" killing, an official said Monday.
- In meeting with British Education Secretary Michael Gove, human rights activist Fahma Mohamed expresses her hope that British schools will do more to combat female genital mutilation (FGM).
- The Police Commissioner of Bolton (UK) is backing a campaign to teach children in schools about the risks of female genital mutilation.
- Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl who has spearheaded the campaign for universal education for children, has backed a campaign led by the 17-year-old British student Fahma Mohamed to get education about female genital mutilation into all schools in the UK.