The Muslim shadow judges are mainly protecting the patriarchal structures of a culture whose proponents are not truly interested in becoming integrated in Germany. Most arbitrators tolerate restrictions of the basic rights of women, and they urge women to accept these constraints.
The AHA Foundation > In Germany, a parallel Islamic court system on the basis of Sharia law has arisen in which women enjoy fewer rights in matters of child custody, marital arbitration and protection from violence.
- The US Department of Health and Human Services will undertake a major study on female genital mutilation (FGM), confirmed Cathy Russell, the US ambassador for global women's issues. This was the result of an effort spearheaded by FGM activist Jaha Dukureh.
- Summertime in the US means "vacation cutting" season is upon us. Immigrants who come to the US from countries that practice female genital mutilation (FGM) sometimes send their daughters back to their countries of origin to have them undergo the procedure.
- In the Wall Street Journal, founder of the AHA Foundation Ayaan Hirsi Ali calls on universities to break with orthodoxy and embrace critical thinking to improve the state of women's rights.
- In her own words, Ayaan Hirsi Ali responds to the public statement of Brandeis University.
- The Washington Post reports on British lawmakers' efforts to combat female genital mutilation (FGM).