A Court in Haarlem, the Netherlands, has acquitted a man of Moroccan origins of charges that he performed FGM on his 5-year-old daughter, but did convict him of beating and biting his daughter: Prosecutors said the girl told her foster mother that her father had performed genital mutilation on her with a pair of scissors, but judges say that statement was not strong enough evidence to convict the man, although the Court stated there is no doubt the girl has undergone severe female genital mutilation: the Father claims he does not know who performed FGM on his daughter.
The AHA Foundation > Dutch Court clears father of FGM
- Human rights workers are campaigning in Somaliland to end female genital mutilation (FGM), but the custom is proving difficult to eliminate.
- Gaza police have arrested family members over the deaths of two Palestinian teenage girls, one of them the victim of a suspected "honor" killing, an official said Monday.
- In meeting with British Education Secretary Michael Gove, human rights activist Fahma Mohamed expresses her hope that British schools will do more to combat female genital mutilation (FGM).
- The Police Commissioner of Bolton (UK) is backing a campaign to teach children in schools about the risks of female genital mutilation.
- Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl who has spearheaded the campaign for universal education for children, has backed a campaign led by the 17-year-old British student Fahma Mohamed to get education about female genital mutilation into all schools in the UK.