In January, Ayaan and the Executive Director of the foundation made the trip to Palm Springs to meet with Federal Judges of the 9th Circuit. Ayaan spoke about her journey from her tribal, nomadic life to the West and the related challenges. The Executive Director brought the judges up to speed on the legislative agenda of the foundation, highlighting pending bills that go further in protecting women and girls in the United States.
The AHA Foundation > FJC Workshop for Judges of the 9th Circuit
- Human rights workers are campaigning in Somaliland to end female genital mutilation (FGM), but the custom is proving difficult to eliminate.
- Gaza police have arrested family members over the deaths of two Palestinian teenage girls, one of them the victim of a suspected "honor" killing, an official said Monday.
- In meeting with British Education Secretary Michael Gove, human rights activist Fahma Mohamed expresses her hope that British schools will do more to combat female genital mutilation (FGM).
- The Police Commissioner of Bolton (UK) is backing a campaign to teach children in schools about the risks of female genital mutilation.
- Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani schoolgirl who has spearheaded the campaign for universal education for children, has backed a campaign led by the 17-year-old British student Fahma Mohamed to get education about female genital mutilation into all schools in the UK.